Friday, February 24, 2012

Skincare Review: SK-II Facial Treatment Essence


SK-II Facial Treatment Essence has been advertised as the Magic Potion in Asia. I always thought it's a hype, but after using it for a month now, I really am impressed!

The Essence vouches to enhance your skin texture and regulate your skin's natural pH balance, making your skin refined and crystal clear. It features Pitera, a secret ingredient churned out of rice yeast fermentation process which is said to keep the old brewers' hands soft and smooth. As the star item of the Pitera line, the Facial Treatment Essence is said to contain an intense dose of up to 90% Pitera. Because of its watery consistency, it is easily mistaken as a toner. But listen, it is an essence! In one way or another, it also serves as a pre-essence which promotes the absorption of the skincare products that follow. 

For me, the first sign of improvement was visible within days of using it. My skin was noticeably softer and smoother. Weeks passed by, my skin became less prone to irritation and the blotches and spots that did surface appear to recover much faster than before, most of time under control the next morning - Hurray! Another obvious improvement is the healthier and more even complexion I now get in the morning, except for those mornings of monthly discomfort...otherwise I'm pretty presentable indeed, I think. I love the glow on face so much that, on a few occasions, I deliberately tilted my face at different angles to admire the way light was reflected...Uhem, a bit narcissistic I know...In a word, my skin is calmed and refined, with the dull areas brightened and the entire face radiated after a month.  

So how is this different from Sulwhasoo First Care Serum (see my earlier review HERE)? My observation is that this essence   gives a more refreshing finish and it works faster in terms of skin 'retexturing' while the First Care Serum helps make my skin plumped with moisture and elasticity. Although many people regard them as two mutually-inclusive pre-essences (i.e. you only need one of them), I actually find them complementary. I tried using either one of them, but the result is not as...complete...in one way or another. Of course, that said, I will have to increase my budget for skincare, but I personally think it's worthwhile as these two are the most impressive serums I have ever used so far. For your information, I have only survived with Laneige Water Bank Essence (see review HERE) for hydration and no other whitening serum after using these two 'pre-essences' lately. And guess what? I actually find my complexion fairer and more even than before (you know, the truth reveals in the morning)! As it's advertised, I think it's functional, and it's multifunctional. My apology for harping on about how magical SK-II Facial Treatment Essence is, but that's because I'm so truly super duper impressed and I have already listed it as my staple beauty item, though again, that's simply my personal experience for your reference. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm also using sulwhasoo first care and plan to start on using skii facial treatment essence. How do you go about using these two at the same time?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, if you're using both at the same time, I will suggest using Sulwhasoo First Care Serum first.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I love your posts. I'm currently shopping for a new skincare regimen, and I've decided to go with sulwhasoo first care activating serum, skII facial treatment essence, and shiseido night recharge lotion. This is clearly an expensive skincare routine, so I'm trying to cut costs by going with missha time revolution first treatment essence in place of SKII. Have you ever used this product? Is it a reasonable "dupe"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I haven't built up my confidence in Missha's skincare products. Somehow it appears more like a cosmetics than skincare brand to me. But even so, their signature BB creams don't work well on my skin. I do love their fluid blusher and lip gloss tho.

      Please let me know if you're liking any of their skincare products. Cheers!

      Delete
  3. I am a bit confused. So, do you use sulwhasoo first, then SK-II and then Laneige in the same session or do you use one brand a day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You only need either Sulwhasoo First Care Serum or SK-II. But please note that SK-II is rich in Vit C, which could irritate some people's skin, if it's relevant to you. =)

      Delete
  4. hi,
    my skin is oily and dry, also i got blackheads, whiteheads and big pores. is there any skin care product you would suggest? is it ok if i mix the product from different brands?or I should stick to one brand at a time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your skin is oily because of your dehydrated skin. So I think what you ultimately need is hydration. Using a rich moisturizer without hydrating your skin first will only make your skin oilier and will clog your pores. Another thing you need is thorough cleansing.

      I do use products from different brands. It's basically fine so long as the "mix" is not too complicated. Simply put, you won't want to use different products that contain, say AHA, Vit C, glycol acid, Korean herbal ingredients, natural essential oil, and stem cell in the same skincare regimen. Some effects could be neutralized, some ingredients could be too harsh to your skin if you use them together, and others cannot be absorbed properly.

      As for recommendations, Bioderma and Vichy have very good and gentle hydrating serums for wallet-friendly prices. If you're in Asia, Laneige and Nature Republic are among my favorites. If you're in your twenties, you may consider Clinique as well. Personally, I don't find the hydrating products of pricier brands like Lancome and Chanel any better than the above-mentioned brands. Oh well, girls like to be pampered though ;)

      As for your blackheads and whiteheads, I highly recommend using Clarisonic. For additional exfoliation, Clinique's Turnaorund Instant Facial Masque has been on my shelf for years. And more recently, I'm in love with Laneige's Multiberry Yogurt Peeling Gel. Don't over-exfoliate your skin though.

      Hope it helps =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...